Wildwood CotD : Ten of Arrows ~ Instruction

Instruction is the keyword for today. Instruction by you, or to you? Perhaps a mixture of both, but you’re most welcome in my corner of the Tarot World, with The Wildwood Tarot.

Instruction
10 of Arrows
Instruction

The keyword of Instruction holds many connotations. From the fantastically drawn picture by Will Worthington, we can see a father (perhaps more grand-father?) figure, tutor a boy in learning a skill for life.  Which character in this card are you most like? Are you the child, being taught to do something totally new by someone who is experienced? Are you the experienced elder, teaching the young cheeky upstart a new skill?

Yesterday, I was a mixture of both these characters. From being the child (despite being just over my middle 30’s) to being the parent in various circumstances, instruction has been given and received.

A lot has to be said for giving instruction in a non confrontational way, a tactic I applied very late in the day to a tired six-year-old from a very tired mother, I surprised myself by not being confrontational about said child’s lack of ability to do as he was asked and had pre-warning about. Yes, he did it and all without a fight, screaming match or drama in sight.

I hope the same is true today, for yesterday they seemed to listen and act upon the instructions given by either parent or grand-parent. However, I don’t expect this to re-occur today, that truly would be a miracle!

Lets combine this card with The Camelot Oracle of the Week, Bors. Bors is the adventuring father figure, ready to help anyone. This pair are of the same cloth, but not on the same adventure. However, the skills Bors demonstrates (love, trust, compassion, instruction) are seen here in the Ten of Arrows too. A reinforcement day, it seems, is on the cards. Take care everyone and please, stay safe!

Comments

1. Angelina February 13, 2013 at 14:40

Most days, I too am a little of both. Teaching and mentoring then the tables can quickly turn to student. Enjoy both roles! Thank you Louise

• Louise February 13, 2013 at 14:44

I find the same! It’s like a swing, isn’t it, the speed you can change from teacher to student and back again? Glad you’re enjoying both roles, Angelina 🙂

2. Judy Stone-Goldman February 13, 2013 at 19:13

I’ve been active as a mentor through my career, and just yesterday I had a call from a former student who wanted to bounce some ideas off of me and get help with a professional challenge. So I guess this is a mentor moment for me, although I’m also in the position of being a student now as I work to learn new skills. Love these multiple roles.

• Louise February 13, 2013 at 21:25

Hi Judy, thanks for commenting! 🙂

In a reading, usually one character (either the teacher or the student) sticks out, as there are lots of other cards laid out around this. But the multiple roles comment is one that a lot of people can’t grasp, until you mention that often, we switch from one to the other during a “normal” day and there are things to learn from both aspects.

Good luck with learning the new skills and I hope you continue to enjoy learning them! Makes life interesting 🙂

3. Donald J. Decker February 13, 2013 at 19:37

I definitely feel that I end up in both roles as each day progresses. Sometimes switching between one sentence and the next. Thank you for sharing this Louise!

• Louise February 14, 2013 at 09:43

It can be as quick as that, can’t it Donald? Having young children in the house, I am finding that out of the mouths of babes, comes the very honest truth, unadulterated and without malice 🙂

4. Vicki Dello Joio February 14, 2013 at 01:31

I love the idea of being both. I think I do spend a lot of time in the mentor role, especially as I have been teaching qi practices for over 40 years. At the same time, I am definitely needing focus with that arrow as I move forward with my business, though sometimes it feels like I am drinking from a fire-hose!

• Louise February 14, 2013 at 09:46

Hi Vicki! Sorry your comment got trapped by the spam folder – rescued it 🙂

The arrows are a good reminder to focus and also, to breath and be calm. Certainly something an archer needs to remember and undertake 🙂

5. tarrisha February 14, 2013 at 01:58

Right now I am going from student to teacher for myself because it is time for me to change.

• Louise February 14, 2013 at 09:41

That’s a good way to look at the card too: The transition between the two! Thanks Tarrisha 🙂

6. Laurie Hurley February 14, 2013 at 04:25

I would definitely be the old man in this scenario, the ultimate caretaker. Mom of two teenage girls, wife, mom of one dog and three cats. I always seem to be “caring” for someone! One of my downfalls – not always caring for myself when needed. Have to work harder on that. Thank you for sharing this with us!

• Louise February 14, 2013 at 09:42

Yeah, got to make the time to love and educate yourself too, Laurie!
      Something I forget quite regularly too, being honest 🙂

7. Susan Berland February 14, 2013 at 20:25

I’m often in the role of teacher, one I put myself in and more often, I need to let myself be in the role of child, open to what is new and open to learning!

Susan Berland

• Louise February 14, 2013 at 22:21

Being open to what is new, what others understand that you do not and what can be learnt (old dog, new tricks time) is very powerful! 😀

And we’re all capable and able to learn new things, it depends on how we approach it. Either with enthusiasm (like a 3 year old) or with the stubbornness of an elder when the youngsters try and teach us how to suck eggs 😉

Good luck and have fun 🙂

8. Shauna Smith February 14, 2013 at 23:00

I find this topic very interesting, I would love to learn more about what you do. I will have to do some reading here on your blog.. Glad things went well with your little one, I agree it rarely happens two days in a row.. lol Love to you

• Louise February 17, 2013 at 21:43

Hey Shauna! There’s well over a YEAR’s worth of blogging with the Tarot (maybe 18 months of it) so there’s a LOT of information here.
      Thanks for stopping by and if you’ve any questions, feel free to ask / post on the blog: I will reply, honest 🙂