Week Ahead : Camelot Oracle ~ Honour is Needed

This week Gareth comes to us from the depths of the Camelot Legends. He’s here to say that honour should be earned, not rewarded because of whose child we are.

HonourGareth was the child of Lot and Morgause of Orkney. As such, he was a prince amongst men and unbeknownst to Kay and the other Knights, they called him “Beaumains” (Fair Hands). This obviously riled the young man, for he undertook quests (once he was a Knight) that allowed others to judge him by his deeds and actions, his chivalrous nature alone, not for his lineage.

He keeps this such a closely guarded secret, he keeps this knowledge from his wife, Linet, who berets him for “being a mere kitchen knave” but she gives him her respect by the time he’s rescued her mistress, The Lady Lionors.

Gareth is judged to be one of the most fair-minded and strongest Knights of the Round Table, he was loyal and his sense of honour make him a very worthy muse for us this week.

So, what can Gareth offer to us this week? He can and does offer us a healthy dose of fairness but if you’ve done wrong, he’ll stand firm and call you on it. He must have been a good arbitrator during his time as a Knight, to be considered so fair-minded.

His travels, like the other Knights, would have seen him away a lot rather than being stuck at home. He was sure where his path lay: it was not at home as the son of a rich set of parents, it was out in the field, proven in battle and adventure. His youthfulness in the card image though, belies a wisdom for one so young.

This week, if your path is unclear or if you need a dose of courage and a sense of honour, look up Gareth‘s story further on the internet. I am also here to help you navigate those paths.

Deck used is the Camelot Oracle by John Matthews, illustrated by Will Worthington.

Comments

1. Jennifer Sanders June 5, 2013 at 12:50

Dear Louise,
    I really love mythology and I use a set of tarot cards that are related to greek myths. Can I ask what deck this card is from? I had never heard of this fellow before but do like his story and his moral.

Thanks!
    Jennyx

• Louise June 5, 2013 at 20:09

Hi Jenny πŸ™‚
      It’s the Camelot Oracle by John Matthews, illustrated by the wonderful Will Worthington (c)

I pull an Oracle card for the week ahead and a Tarot card for mid-week, which is half written πŸ˜‰

Thanks for stopping by and if you have any further questions, I’d be glad to help πŸ™‚

2. Don Decker June 5, 2013 at 18:04

Thank you for sharing Gareth this week. Courage and honor – great message any week and definitely inspired for this week!

• Louise June 5, 2013 at 20:11

Hey Don, great to see you stopping by!! I’m going to be busy tomorrow, commenting on this weeks posts, but I’ll find yours first πŸ™‚

Gareth does carry a great message, love the illustrations and John’s background and workings with each card in the book. πŸ™‚

3. Louise Edington June 6, 2013 at 14:45

I love the Camelot legends so totally get the message of Gareth. Now I am pulled towards a Camelot deck though I am not sure I like that artwork….

• Louise June 6, 2013 at 19:53

I’ve found it the best Camelot based deck out there Lou, but each to their own. There’s another one John Matthews (I think it was John) did: I’ll find it out and PM you πŸ™‚

4. Laura June 7, 2013 at 00:06

I’m up for a healthy dose of fairness! Thanks for your insight Louise!

• Louise June 7, 2013 at 13:00

You’re very welcome, Laura! πŸ™‚

5. Judy Stone-Goldman June 7, 2013 at 00:39

I have come to look forward to your posts, knowing that you will tell me a story. What an honorable young man – not wanting to be known for lineage but for deeds. That can also speak to wanting to do good deeds in the present rather than resting on some reputation. I will think of his courage as I face the week.

• Louise June 7, 2013 at 13:01

I have tried to do the same, Judy πŸ™‚