The Week Ahead : Control the Disaffection

This week (though, its late being posted) we’re joined by Mordred. I thought I knew his story, but it seems I was wrong! Are you suffering from a little disaffection this week? Mordred might help you get through it.

I was of the belief that Mordred’s mother was Morgana, nor Morgause, but as the legends have changed over time (they start out as Mordred / Medraut being the son of Anna and her husband, King Lot, therefore making Mordred the nephew to King Arthur) and the story gets a little fuzzy with each telling, it’s not hard to work out the step change. It could be that television shows such as Merlin and Merlin (the one with Sam Neill) have a lot to answer for, but the one I remember most about who Mordred’s mother was, is this one: The Mists of Avalon (who can forget Anjelica Huston!)

Mordred
Mordred

So, Mordred has a colourful past and if he was rejected by his father, King Arthur, it’s enough to make anyone suffer disaffection. But sometimes, you can’t control what others feel for you: You can only control your own emotions. Yes, in an ideal world, every child would know their father, their father would care and love them in return but not everyone has that in their lives. It happens all over this country, and in many religions, creeds, colours and nationalities. There’s no one “set” type of person where the father doesn’t step up to the plate. To be honest, some mothers don’t either. I often say my grand-parents did more harm than good and if anything constructive came out of them having so many children, was that they showed my parents how not to parent their own children. My sister and I are better for it, though I have had a lot of disaffection towards them, for I do feel we missed out somewhere in the realms of love and affection.

So what of Mordred and his dark wisdom, his need for revenge, his internal anger? Is it constructive to have such feeling inside? Mordred would probably answer no. His life would have been so much better and different if those feelings were worked through and let go. However, his mother (be she Morgana or Morgause) didn’t allow him to let go of the anger and kept it festering on the back-burner. Look what happened! Father and son kill each other. How wasteful is that?

Apples and honey

So, here’s my advice with this card for this week: Do as Mordred suggests, not as he did. What truth are you not facing up to? Are you wiser now than a year ago? (Oh, Rosh Hashanah to my Jewish friends!) Do you need good negotiation skills? Are you trapped; or are you too free?

Mordred has a lot of questions to ask of us this week, if you’re wanting to get rid of any disaffection. And whilst it is Rosh Hashanah, try some honey on an apple and have a sweet New Year and if not the year, try for the remainder of this week.

Comments

1. Susan Wright-Boucher September 4, 2013 at 14:49

That’s an interesting card. Hopefully I’m wiser than I was last year – actually, I know I am. This last year was a humdinger. But I think if Mordred calls, I’ll let it go to voicemail. I don’t want to make time for dark thoughts or revenge.

• Louise September 4, 2013 at 21:18

I never quite understood the American word “humdinger” – care to elaborate please?
      And I think with Mordred it’s more a case of you calling on him… if you’re bold enough to have him by your side! 🙂

• Susan Wright-Boucher September 9, 2013 at 20:56

Hi Louise — Sorry, I missed your comment until this morning.

Humdinger is something outstanding, something that will be remembered because of its impact or surprising nature. For me, it was a year full of the unexpected. I learned lots, but I wouldn’t care to repeat it. 🙂

I’m very new to all of this — I’ll have to look up Mordred to understand more.

• Louise September 9, 2013 at 21:20

Ah, I understand the context now: yes, Mordred’s influence would be something of a humdinger, to say the least 🙂

2. Judy Stone-Goldman September 5, 2013 at 05:37

I believe the inner suffering from childhood wounds causes great pain and turmoil. Some people do grow through it and become better for it – perhaps more empathic, more understand of life’s journey, or just more strong in fighting obstacles. But some people don’t get through it, either because they don’t have the modicum of support that everyone needs or because something in their spirit just is too injured. They live with this internal rage that does only harm. This is an unsettling card!

It is interesting to have you ask the question, because tonight at synagogue the rabbi also had us look back on our year, to consider what was joyous this year and also what difficulties we faced. He made the point that we are likely to have both happiness and sorrow in the year ahead.

• Louise September 5, 2013 at 07:23

Hey Judy! Yes, it can cause great harm and damage and it’s how we deal with the hand we’re dealt rather than the cards we want. We can’t heal if we’re not willing to work on it though.

3. Julieanne Case September 6, 2013 at 00:03

I’m a firm believer in forgiveness. Carrying hatred or anger or revenge only hurts you. I heard that some guru said that holding on to that anger is like taking poison and waiting for the offender to die. Forgiving doesn’t condone the action of another. It merely sets you free!

Julieanne Case
    Always from the heart!

Reconnecting you to your Original Blueprint, Your Essence, Your Joy| Healing you from the Inside Out |Reconnective Healing | The Reconnection| Reconnective Art |

• Louise September 6, 2013 at 07:18

I agree, Julieanne! Back in Arthurian times, that may not have been very understood though, but today it should be! I think it Depends on how enlightened and educated we are – and if we’re willing to seek help. Thankfully, some of us do 🙂

4. Louise Edington September 9, 2013 at 18:20

As I read this I am listening to Dr Maya Angelou talk about forgiving the man who raped her when she was 7. Talk about synchronicity. Festering feelings eat up from the inside out. Foregiveness is indeed key x

• Louise September 9, 2013 at 18:56

Oh that’s a damn hard thing to forgive!