Wildwood CotD : Five of Vessels

It’s a public holiday here in England and Wales (Scotland have already had theirs) and today, it looks like the Wildwood is still trying to get me to lighten up and have fun! I think I may be missing the point its trying to make these last few days.

Card of the Day
Five of Vessels ~ Ecstasy
Card of the Day

Today’s card is one I struggle with, basically because I find the look on her face rather forced and I never think of the Five of Vessels as a fun experience. I always think of the Five of Vessels (Cups) from the RWS, a figure crying over spilt milk or being hurt in some way. It’s taking a lot to add in the key word of ecstasy. Here are the two images so you can see just how different they are.

5 of Cups from the Radiant Tarot
Linked from New Paths Tarot

As you can see, they’re chalk and cheese! So, how does one get to the theme of ecstasy from the theme of loss and bereavement?

There’s a school of thought about grinning and bearing it, about going through the motions, playing a part (typical that I get that musical episode for Buffy in my head) but hiding in part, perhaps, the pain we are feeling inside that we don’t want people to see?

It’s not pain I’m hiding, I’m just…. somewhat detached perhaps? Certainly not engaged but certainly not attached and in the middle of it, as I usually am. I hope that it changes today, I just want to join in, you know?

So today, I hope you’re in the thick of it, feeling the emotions and being a part of it, rather than either pretending or feeling as if you’re on the side lines.

Comments

1. Chloe August 27, 2012 at 09:39

I see her as actively doing something to heal her pain. She is calling on the help of the divine, connecting with the source, to be able to let go of the sadness which bogs down the RWS figure 🙂

• Louise August 27, 2012 at 09:50

That’s a thought, Chloe! Not something I can do right now, but something to bear in mind to do later on ~ thank you!!

• Joanne August 27, 2012 at 20:51

Chloe, nice take on it. Like she’s embraced the healing that comes with mourning. As if we’re seeing what would happen if the RWS figure turned around and looked at what he had left instead. One can see the forced change either way.

And Louise, I share your quizzicalness over this particular WW card. Still trying to figure it out myself, although Chloe may be on a good track with it…

• Chloe August 28, 2012 at 09:10

Having done it myself a fair few times, I recognise the approach 😉

2. Louise August 28, 2012 at 09:20

*chuckles at Chloe* Name a person on this planet over the age of 21 who hasn’t? It’s recognising it that’s the issue 🙂

• Chloe August 28, 2012 at 15:15

Yeah, I’m not that daft ;D I mean that I’ve realised my situation and decided to use spiritual healing on myself a few times – through creating sacred space and using tarot spells, or meditative practices… 🙂

• Louise August 28, 2012 at 21:18

Something I need to get on with is sorting out my working / reading room! Funny, but the Ace of Stones came out today…. Elephant task at hand! 😉

3. Martyn August 29, 2012 at 13:10

Perhaps we always seem to have the standard RWS meanings embedded in our memory Louise? I have this deck and found some of the cards hard to relate too. I think what Chloe pointed out is a perfect meaning!